Decisions, decisions...

So I've got a selection of kiddies clothes ready for opening an online store and I'm wondering where to do it.  There's pros & cons of everywhere, obviously, so I'm just not sure where to start.

There's Etsy  - mostly handmade things, 
Ebay - everyone knows ebay.

Both would be a good forum, but there's drawbacks to both.  Ebay is SO huge that one little online store of specialty kids clothes would be lost, unless I want to pay the bigger fees per listing to get bold and highlighted items in the search results.  Then Etsy, I'm not 100% sure but in the fine print it looked like I couldn't then sell anywhere else online.  Or maybe it was just that I couldn't promote the items anywhere else through the Etsy site.  Meaning, having a direct website in the listing description so that people could buy the items directly from me without the listing fees of Etsy.

Then of course, there's a personal website and Facebook.  I've actually seen a few shops recently promoted on Facebook, and the owners then take custom orders through Facebook postings.  Drawbacks here are that people don't go to Facebook looking for items to buy, and the cost of setting up and hosting a direct website is a bit beyond my finances at the moment.  

And then finally is how to promote myself...?  Posters up on the local message boards?  At school and kindy?  Swimming lessons?  

Anyway, I'm off to take photos of all the gorgeous things I've been making and put them up in posts...

No comments:

Post a Comment